Thursday, January 28, 2016

Molly's Birth Story Part 2

If you missed Part One of Molly's Birth Story check it out here

Eddie had offered to sleep at the hospital with me the night before but I told him there was no need for that and since we live only 5 minutes away I would rather him have a good night sleep and come back first thing in the morning. 


*For those of you that may not know Eddie has Epilepsy and his sleep is extremely important for him to avoid having seizures in addition to his current medicine regiment, I knew that I would spend more time worrying about his well being then focusing on myself during labor had he not gone home to sleep before the real games began. *

I called him around 9 am to tell him my water had been broken and they were starting the pitocin so it was time to get his booty to the hospital. At first everything was great my contractions were tolerable and I was even making jokes in between them. About four hours after starting the pitocin, around noon, is when things got intense. Before I was induced I had no idea that these drugs give you contractions as if you were 8-9cm dilated and in active labor even though I was starting at 1cm. My contractions were 1 minute apart and 30-40 seconds long and it was to the point where I was writhing from the pain. Eddie was the perfect coach, he didn’t say anything just offered his hand and encouraging words. By 1:30 pm I wasn’t sure how much more of the pain I could take but I really wanted to avoid an epidural because in my head it felt like I was giving up. After a lot of back and forth with the nurses and Eddie I decided to get checked to see how much I had progressed then I would make a decision on if I would get the epidural or not based off of that.


After 6 hours of contractions I had made it to 3 cm and was 90% effaced. The OB and nurses were praising me and saying how great that is for a first time mom but in my head I was hoping to hear at least a 5 or 6 so I was instantly crushed which ultimately lead to my decision to go for the pain relief. I wasn’t scared of the epidural itself because needles don’t bother me, thankfully. I was more nervous about having to stay still during the process and through the intense contractions I was experiencing because up to this point I was moving throughout each of them just to get through them. The nurse that was with me that day was amazing, I told her many times how much I loved her and even more so when she told Eddie to leave the room for the epidural if he thought for even a second it would make him nervous or queasy. She assured us both she would get me through it and she did. Once it kicked in I was back to my regular old self, cracking jokes and laughing with everyone I think I even watched Ellen if I remember correctly.

All of a sudden at around 6pm I told the nurses I felt like my catheter was coming out and wanted them to check it. They told me it wasn’t possible but if I wanted I could have my OB come in and check my progression if that would make me feel more at ease. I decided against it for fear of hearing I hadn’t progressed at all in those 5 hours or that I had only made it to 7 cm. 30 minutes later I was still feeling like the catheter was falling out or became misplaced so I asked again for them to check it which was when they brought in my OB to see if I had progressed. Much to everyone’s surprise it wasn’t my catheter but I was fully dilated and Molly was ready to join the world!
I had quite the team join us for the delivery portion as it was 7pm and shift change when I started to push. We all thought it would take awhile because I was a first time mom but I was still numb from the epidural  so I don’t think I realized just how hard I was pushing because after 20 minutes the nurses had to have me stop so they could call in my OB to deliver Molly. I remember sitting there feeling pressure and I kept telling everyone I couldn’t hold her in she was coming one way or the other and fast. After 33 minute of pushing and one last big push with my doctor, Molly entered the world.

I wish I could put into words how I felt when I first saw her but I can’t. It was the most overwhelming and amazing experience of my entire life so far. I couldn’t believe how small yet perfect she was and I was so excited that she looked like me!!! Everyone was convinced she would look like Eddie throughout my entire pregnancy but she is 100% Mommy (and her poppys) twin.


Introducing Molly Rae born on December 15,2015 at 7:33 pm. 
She was 6 lbs and 19.5 inches and immediately stole our hearts.


  1. Congratulations on your princess. Everything you described reminded me of my first pregnancy difference is second time the OB came to check I still hadn't moved from 3cm I ended up having an emergency c-section because of failure to progress naturally but my son came into the world perfect and healthy. I had my second, a baby girl 12 weeks ago, the overwhelming feeling + the amount of love you have is the most beautiful thing in the world. May Molly bring you both plenty of joy and happiness and may she be blessed with abundant health. Xx

  2. That was beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing!!! As some one who has never been pregnant, but hopes to in the future, your experience was really great to hear! You seem like you really enjoyed the experience and remained calm. You are a very selfless person letting Eddie sleep at home and staying alone. I really admire you!!

  3. Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you!! She is beautiful :) You seem like such a strong woman, thank you for sharing your story with us.

  4. She is sooo cute! Congrats again on your new bundle of joy! You are one tough cookie girl! Sending a big hug. :)

  5. Congratulations! You're amazing and I am so happy you have your little girl. She really is so precious.

  6. This is so much like my labor story. Induction. Is horrible pain from the get go. But they told me I could t get the epidural until I was 6 cm